Posted on

Yesterday my two oldest kids were feverish. Saturday night, my middle son hadn’t eaten much dinner and asked to sleep in our bed early. Around 8pm, I told my husband, I bet he has a fever. Sure enough, he was warm to the touch.

Around 4 am, he was still feverish, leaving a puddle of what I hope was sweat on my bed (I still haven’t changed the sheets). I opted at that point to give a fever reducer. I wanted him to keep sleeping. I gave him some with water and he went back to sleep.

That morning, I was surprised to see my husband hadn’t gone to work. Then I see my oldest on the couch. He is feverish too. Thankfulness was immediately felt for my husband staying home so that I wouldn’t have to deal with a teething, constantly nursing one year old and sick older kids.

They watched cartoons throughout the morning as we pushed fluids on them. Around noon, my middle son’s fever came back and he curled back on the couch. A few hours later, while I was on the phone with BCBST’s automated system (which I despise and was cursing at during each press 1, or press 2) for something else, I heard three hits on the wall. I come out and see my husband sitting next to my middle son, he was seizing. I rushed over, trying to put my hands on him. My husband told me to keep my hands off of him, he needed to be able to move. My husband had my son turned to his left side as he shook uncontrollably. I cried out, “we need to call 911.” My husband replied, “not yet.” He was so calm. My oldest was sitting on the other end of the couch, crying and asking what is happening. My son’s eyes were open, eyes dilated, looking at the wall. He couldn’t see us. He was still breathing, but his jaw was locked. Spit started to foam out of his mouth. I ran and got a cold wash cloth. I was still begging for us to do something. Then it was over. We placed the cloth on his forehead first, I curled his three year old body into my arms, resting his head into the crook of my right arm. He was so hot. I moved the cloth to the back of his neck, my husband got an ice pack and we put it on his head. He fell asleep. I cried.

He had goosebumps on his legs and body. The temperature must have spiked quickly. A short while later my husband got into a bath with my middle son. We got him to talk with us and I sang twinkle twinkle while they cooled off in the bath. I was so happy to see he was responding normally. I began reading about febrile seizures and saw my husband did exactly what we were supposed to.

He was still feverish through the evening, but he was playing and whining as expected. I’m so thankful for my husband. He was calm and knew what to do in the moment. I am so thankful I wasn’t home by myself during the seizure.

Today, their fevers are gone. I have no idea what they had. We will stay home today to let them rest some more.



4 thoughts on “Seized

    thevfamily said:
    September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm

    Oh my goodness! So glad he is ok now and that it was only one. What does it mean now that he has had one? I really don’t know much about this. So sorry you had to experience something so scary.

    Leigh Anne responded:
    September 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm

    He could have them again, or never have another. It comes from the fever spiking. It seems it is a protective measure on the body. He was fine twenty minutes later. Tired but himself.

    Tabitha said:
    September 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm

    Wow! What a tough day! I would’ve been right there with you, panicking and not knowing what to do. Its great Damon knew. Had he read up on this or did he have experience with it in the past? We had a sheep that had seizures when she got hot and the vet told us just to soak her down with a water hose to get her cool quickly. Its so much scarier to think of it happening with your child.

      lahancock responded:
      September 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

      He has seen someone seize before. Plus he is CPR certified.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s