Phew, that was a whirlwind

Posted on

I haven’t been posting much lately as any computer time has been devoted to preparing for the Empowering Fearless Birth conference.  Nashville Birth and Babies had a booth there and I was way overzealous with my time on the computer making things with, making bookmarks for the vendor bags and name badges.  I learned that some of this was unnecessary as the day went on at the birth conference.  Our business is less about stuff and more about information and relationships.  One of our postpartum doulas in the group has a great booth layout idea for us. I hope it will allow us to welcome and educate even more families next year.

Now, I could be doing this post on our Nashville Birth & Babies blog, but I didn’t figure everyone needed to know why I thought everything was a whirlwind…so I will explain.

For a week and half I have had sick and coughing children in my house. My husband and the boys went to church on a Wednesday night, nearly two weeks ago now, and soon afterwards, Nick started with a croupy cough. That cough got passed to Liam and then Grant because a snotty mess.  I tend to quarantine ourselves away from others when our kids are sick but we still went for the occasional bike ride and even a trip to the library.  Their colds seemed to hold out and while I was getting a decent amount of sleep, my husband was often waking up to help soothe a coughing kid. Then this past Wednesday night, we left the kids with Nana and my husband and I went to a meet and greet event for his work.  Drinks were served, I had a few, had some appetizers, talked about engineering stuff with a bunch of people and had a good time. Then as we were walking home in the chilly air, I started to shiver.  My body was tightening up against the cold, and I thought that I just hadn’t dressed appropriately for the temperature.  However as we made our way back home, I could tell that I wasn’t just cold.  I was starting to get that familiar ache in my body…mastitis.  I knew it was coming.  I told my husband maybe he should drop me off at home and then go pick up the kids, but I changed my mind and held my body as still as possible, waiting for the inevitable shivering.  By the time we arrived home and I had popped a lecithin pill and hopped into bed, my body was shivering badly, creating a fun time for Grant as he tried to nurse from the left side, the side that was beginning to hurt. I was able to fall asleep despite the shivering, waking in the night drenched in sweat and then falling back asleep. By morning, I was sore from the fever and my husband had caught the children’s cold.

Maybe going out the night prior wasn’t a good idea.

That next day, I rested as much as I could, but I still kept getting sucked into the computer to finish a few more things. I nursed the  baby frequently and even had my three year old nurse to help get over it all faster. By Thursday night, I was feeling better but was worried that I was going to get a cold. I was taking every preventative I could.

Friday, my husband stayed home, resting because his cold was in full affect. I was feeling better and around lunch time, I went out and helped a friend for a bit and then went grocery shopping. That night I did my last minute preparations for the birth conference, nursed some more, made sure to pack everything I needed in the car and got the breast pump ready to drive to Murfreesboro the next day.

I would be away from Grant from 6:45 am until about 8:30pm. The longest I’ve ever been away from him. I nursed him right before I left. It was a good thing I brought my pump. As I neared Murfreesboro early that morning, my right breast was aching. All, I could think was no, this can’t happen today! I need to stay healthy, I can get sick tonight at around 8pm.

I hung our backdrop, got our banner and table ready. Then one of our postpartum doulas from our group arrived and she was such a blessing. She helped with some last minute finishing touches on the table and I went to go pump for the first time. While setting up the pump, I could feel the fever starting to come back and the chills. I pumped three times between 8:30am and 3pm. By 11 am, I had on multiple coats, trying to stay warm and not appear like I was sick. As I began to start pumping again, I started to cry thinking maybe I should just go home. I had planned to attend some of the workshops but my energy was zapped and I just didn’t feel like it anymore. I decided to go ask one of the DoTerra representatives if I could have some peppermint oil for my neck. I hoped it would bring down my fever. Brittany was extremely generous and as I tearfully told her what was going on, she volunteered to make a blend that I could massage onto my chest and lymph nodes. I went back and pumped while she made it. Once I started using the oil, I did start to feel better. My appetite was minimal, but my fever started to go away and I know I looked more pleasant when talking to prospective students. So thank you Brittany, you helped me make it through the day.

During the afternoon vendor break, I laid on the cold concrete floor for a few minutes before getting up to talk with some of the other vendors. I enjoyed chatting with Barbara Nicholson from Attachment Parenting International. Then I went down and checked out Emi Canahauti’s booth called Thrive Education. Her books were a hoot and I had so much fun talking with her and Hector Cruz from Project Breastfeeding about the books. After that point, my spirit lifted and I was able to finish the day out, chatting with some really great people. I got to see one of my favorite people, Amy, from Chattanooga.  I so miss getting to be around her and her girls. I got to speak with two mamas, that I  hope will take my class. One was a twin mama and she was just glowing and eager. Another mama, very newly pregnant, self proclaimed older mama, just had this vibe about her, I can’t even explain it. She is someone that you want to get to know. I got to chat with our other birth professionals in our group, having an informal business meeting while we were there. We have a great group of women that are passionate about birth and postpartum. I met a bunch of new people and got to see so many other friends. I’m loving this birth community.

I was worried last summer when I moved here it would be hard to get integrated into this birth community, but I was wrong.  There is a great energy that has started brewing here. There are some great birth groups, like NOVA, and Aveta Birth Services, there are fantastic prenatal yoga instructors like Jenni Derryberry Mann and Jami Jackson. So many doulas, and massage therapists, childbirth educators, and birth photographers/videographers. I even finished off the night chatting with the owner of Terra Nektar. She is a fellow homeschooling mom and had a similar retirement from a technical career. Nashville is so fortunate to have so many options. I’m thankful, I get to have a small part in it.

So, that whirlwind is still going. I had planned a day of rest yesterday to recover, and yet we went and drove around Nashville, checking out different neighborhoods.  I feel like we are ready to settle into a neighborhood now. This is going to be our home for a while. We spoke with a realtor today, and we will see where the future lands us. I’m excited.

Here are a few pictures from the conference. I didn’t take as many as I normally do, but hey, I was trying to just make it through the day. I love the toy baby with the pelvis hat at our booth, yeah, I did that. 🙂

DSC_0004DSC_0008 DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0012


2 thoughts on “Phew, that was a whirlwind

    Jenni at said:
    March 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm

    Oh my goodness! Thanks for the shout-out! 🙂 We do have a rapidly maturing birth culture here! I’m excited to be part of it, and I’m thankful you’re part of it!! You fit right in, and you bring so much good energy & info to our community. THANK YOU!!

    Jenni at said:
    March 30, 2014 at 8:01 pm

    And you were such a rock star to hold it together all day long the way you did while still sick. Amazing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s