First Dumping of A Fully Loaded Cargo Bike

Posted on Updated on

I will start the post out with, we are okay.

Today, I wanted us to ride down the greenway, look at a house and then go on to Liam’s speech therapy.


It is a probably an eight to ten-mile round trip. We loaded up, Grant and Nick even bringing their beloved dinosaurs along for the ride.


As a rarity, I also brought our nice DSLR camera. We rode for a bit, then stopped to take photos.

DSC_0031 DSC_0033 DSC_0037 DSC_0041 DSC_0043

We then rode towards Drakes Creek Park. As we were making a turn on the bike path, I hit a patch of mud about two feet long and one foot wide. We immediately crashed down on the left slide, the bike sliding to the right. I wasn’t going very fast, but the weight of all of us, plus the bike had us land hard. I was so scared at first for Grant because I thought his face had hit the concrete. I screamed to some walkers for help. That scream frightened the boys and I struggled to get the fully loaded bike off of me. The boys were all crying, I got them all off the bike from my knees, I guess. I don’t really remember. Waves of nausea started hitting me. I see that the boys are uninjured, my body taking the brunt of the fall.

Grant’s iBert seat protected him wonderfully with its high sides. Nick only had a small scrape on his left hand. A nice man helped get my bike up, while a girl helped get the kick stand up. The man got my phone and thankfully, I was able to get a hold of my Dad’s girlfriend on the first few rings. She is a nurse and headed out the door to us immediately. I was hurt. My left elbow was scraped badly, my left knee scraped but luckily my knees were protected by jeans. My left ankle has a gigantic goose egg on it with bruising going up my shin. The man there asked if he could do anything, I wasn’t really sure what to do.  I was nauseated if I sat up. Grant sat on my belly as I laid flat on my back in the parking lot, helmet still on for bit until I decided to remove it. I was worried about the boys but they quickly got up and started to try and take care of me. I called my husband and got no answer so sent him a text to let him know we had an accident. I hope I didn’t scare him too much.

I applied a band-aid to Nick’s hand and kept having to lay down on the ground. Then my stomach told me I needed to find a restroom. My husband called me back and he headed home. One of the groundskeepers came by to check on us and fortunately Meredith, my dad’s girlfriend, was there shortly. She watched the boys as I hobbled to the restroom. I used my Hypnobabies “peace” cue as I walked because my elbow was burning and my ankle throbbing. I cleaned my wound and then went back to Meredith and the boys. I was thankful she was close by. She checked my eyes to see if they were dilating properly as I was worried I might have a concussion. My head hurt but I wasn’t sure if it was just from being jarred or from adrenaline. She stayed with me as we walked the bike over to the playground. The boys happily played while we waited for my husband to get to the park. I knew I shouldn’t ride home with them, however by the time he arrived, I was feeling a bit better. My head wasn’t hurting and I didn’t feel as nauseous. I pointed out to my husband where the bike hit, the left side being caked in mud. His comment made me smile, “Well, I guess it is broken in now.” Indeed it is. I’m impressed that this was the first time I had dumped the bike. He bought the bike last May as an anniversary present.


He was able to take Liam and the boys to speech therapy via our van while I slowly rode over to Kroger for band aids and Neosporin.



I was thankful to get back on the bike about an hour after the spill, despite the soreness.


I’m typing this as I soak in a bath. I believe ice on my ankle and knee is on the agenda for the rest of the evening. I’m so thankful that I was the one injured over the boys.

This spill taught me, never to turn on what you think is mud and to get a first aid kit for the bike.


2 thoughts on “First Dumping of A Fully Loaded Cargo Bike

    thevfamily said:
    April 8, 2014 at 9:35 pm

    Oh my! Glad your boys are ok and that your injuries are minimal. I was waiting to hear that the camera was destroyed but from the pics it appears not!

    Jenni at said:
    April 8, 2014 at 11:02 pm

    Oh mama! OUCH! I’m glad yall are OK, and I’m so impressed at your perseverance! Love love love the hypnobabies in there!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s