Chenille Baby Blanket. Done.

Posted on Updated on

Phew, that craft was one that took a lot longer than expected. I saw this blanket a few years ago, gifted to someone at a baby shower. It looked fantastic and I asked how they made it. They told me they found the pattern on aesthetic nest, a craft blog. For whatever reason, the other day, I remembered this blanket and decided to see if I could find the pattern.

I found it easily and it looked simple enough. Four layers of fabric, one being the printed fabric and three pieces of flannel. They are stacked on top of one another and then sewn across the length of the fabric on the diagonal. The diagonal part is important when it comes to the chenille making part. The seams were a half-inch apart and was quite mind numbing to sew. Of course my thread kept breaking during the sewing process on both the upper and lower threads so it took a lot longer than I hoped.

I managed to screw up the sewing part when I took a break from it for a few days and then started sewing quickly to try to finish. About half way through the day of intermittent sewing, I decided to turn the blanket over and discovered that I had created a great many creases in the printed fabric. Now, I ‘m not a perfectionist when it comes to my crafts, but this looked like crap. So I got the pleasure of ripping out about 20 lines of stitching. That took a few hours to do before I could restart the sewing.

Once it was all sewn, the hard part came. Cutting through the three layers of flannel without cutting the piece of printed cotton. I wish I could say that I managed to not cut a single whole through the cotton, but I can’t. If you look closely, you can see a handful of errors where I had to re-stitch the fabric, but after a while I found a technique using two different kinds of scissors that would allow me to maintain the cotton fabric un-cut.

Fortunately, after the fabric was cut, I threw it in the washing machine and dryer and I was happy to see the result. I got a very awesome chenille affect, just like the blog said I would. I layered light blue, dark blue and yellow and once the fabric frayed into a chenille, it gave a very cool greenish color.

The yellow satin binding was sewn on yesterday and today and now the small baby blanket is complete. I’m glad it is done and I can move on to other crafts. Some hemp diaper inserts need to be serged and then back to my regularly scheduled knitting.

So, if you’ve actually managed to read through this entire post, then here are the pictures of the blanket. It is cuddly and heavy. I’m sure the older kids will steal it to keep warm while watching movies on the couch.

DSC_0003DSC_0002  DSC_0004 DSC_0006

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s